TV Wrap Up | Part One

Overview:
Since we are close to the end of the semester I have decided to do a countdown of my favorite shows of this semester. I have watched some really good shows this semester. Some have stuck with me throughout the semester and I consider those to be the best I have watched. So I have made a list of the 11 shows I have watched and ranked them. For this week I am going to run down my 11-6, and next week will be the top 5 shows I watched.

11. Too Funny to Fail: The Life and Death of The Dana Carvey Show

Too Funny to Fail was an enjoyable watch, and as a documentary it was one of the best I have ever watched. Dana Carvey is one of the funniest comedians of the last 30 years and his talent is shown in this documentary. The documentary was about the creation of The Dana Carvey Show. The show was literally too funny to fail. The cast included Carvey, Steve Carell, and Stephen Colbert. The only reason I have placed this last on my list was because it wasn't actually a show. It was interesting to watch this show came to be and watch it fail before your eyes.



10. Boardwalk Empire

I really wanted to like Boardwalk Empire. One of my favorite kind of genres is gangster, and Boardwalk Empire is that. The problem was that I just couldn't get into it. To me it seemed like a poor man's Sopranos. The story itself was interesting to me though. There are not many period pieces that portray Atlantic City during prohibition. Most of what you see portrays either Chicago, New York, Las Vegas, or Los Angeles. The character of Jimmy Darmody was one of the most complex characters I have ever watched. Jimmy exemplified what it would be like to come back from World War II. Jimmy was a broken man and did not fit into life anymore. He was haunted by his past and fearful of his future. I may come back to this show in the future and watch the second season, and hopefully my opinion of the show will change.

9. Arrested Development

Arrested was one of the funnier shows I watched this semester. The problem is that the other comedies I watched this semester were better. Gob will forever be one of my favorite television characters of all-time. Another thing I loved about this show was how despicable the Bluth's are. They hated each other and everyone hated them. The cast in this show really played well off each other. It makes sense for a show like this when you have talent like Will Arnett, Jason Bateman, and Jeffrey Tambor. One of the main problems I had with this show was that the seasons were long. I like my television seasons in the 10-13 episode range. The first season of Arrested Development was 22 episodes, and you felt it. 



8. BoJack Horseman

Another Show that featured the talents of Will Arnett. I didn't find this to be the funniest show that I watched this semester, but the story was one of the most clever I watched. I liked the idea of a has-been celebrity horse. It was a unique take on an old story. I like BoJack, because he reminds me of what I can be sometimes. I am a self-deprecating sarcastic person and that is what BoJack is all the time. I also like how real this show got at times. You may think it is a cartoon and is going to be immature. But it gets into some real life problems like drug addiction and depression.





7. F is For Family

I wish this show was higher on my list. As an adult cartoon it took steps into the future of what this type of genre can be. In my blog about this show I said that this show was like an HBO show in cartoon form. There was crude language and crude images. I never thought I would see a show like this and then I watched this. Much like BoJack, F is For Family took on some real life issues. As it was set in the 1970's it took sexual harassment in the office head on and addressed the dichotomy of the family household of its time. I laughed throughout each episode and continued watching the series after I watched the first season. Any other time I would say this is a top five show but the shows ahead of it are just a little better.


6. Atlanta
This was the hardest choice I made when filling out this list. Atlanta and my number 5 show was a toss up. At the end of the day though Atlanta was still a great show. I have never really watched anything with Donald Glover, but I was really impressed with what I saw. I see a great actor as someone who can both be comedic and dramatic. Glover has the ability to do this and flawlessly does it. What I liked about this show was it addressed the racial divide in our country, but it did not bash you in the head about it. It was subtle and would address it in a comedic and awkward way. 


Next week I will cover my top 5.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Atlanta | Season One

Future Man

F Is For Family | Season One