F Is For Family | Season One

Background: 
F Is For Family is different than most of your family shows. The show really lets loose in what it can get away with as a cartoon. It gets as explicit as possible for any show out there. F Is For Family is also very relatable and I think that is why this show is so good.

The Plot:
F Is For Family takes place in the mid-1970s, and shows the prototypical family of the time. The revo
lves around the Murphy family. They are a middle class family that has the problems of every family. It focuses on many of the problems facing a family in the 1970s.

The Characters:
The patriarch of the family is Frank Murphy. Frank is a hot tempered man who hates his life. He is profane and never knows when to shut his mouth. Frank is a manager at the local airport, and he is trying to avoid a strike by the workers there. Sue is Frank's wife and is the stay at home mom for the family. She is prone to being as profane as Frank, but she is able to keep calm in most situations. Kevin is Frank and Sue's oldest child. Kevin is a stoner loser who Frank is always fighting with. Bill is the middle child and he is always getting picked on by the local bully. Bill is a good hearted kid, but he is not very masculine and is not respected much by his father. Maureen is their only daughter and is the most stable person in the family. She is very progressive in what she wants to do in her life. At times in the season, Maureen talks about being an astronaut.


One of my favorite character isn't even part of the Murphy family. Vic is the neighbor of the Murphy's and Frank despises him. Frank is envious of Vic because he lives the life he wish he had. Vic is a coke head playboy and lives life to the fullest. I appreciate what Vic brings to the show and that is a care free idiot. He doesn't realize that Frank loathes him and is funny watching their interactions.

My Problems:
There isn't a whole lot of problems I had with this show. My biggest problem with the first season was that the season was only 6 episodes. While I appreciate my shows that have short seasons. This season could have been a lot more fledged out if it were a 10 episode season.

Conclusion:
I feel like I say this every week, but F Is For Family is one of the best shows I watched this semester. The self deprecating humor is some of the best that I have seen in a television show before. Watching F Is For Family I thought of both my future and parent's childhood. I think that is why I liked this show much. Many of the storylines are relatable to any generation even though the show is set in a different time. I also appreciate how this show holds back. Most adult cartoons will still be PG-13 like Family Guy and The Simpsons. Other cartoon shows like Rick and Morty will be even more mature in the material it gets into. F Is For Family though acts like a live action show on HBO but is instead a cartoon. I love that an adult cartoon has taken the next step and not been a retread of other shows.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Atlanta | Season One

Future Man