The Last Man on Earth | Season One
The Last Man on Earth is one of the funniest shows that I have ever seen, and it is by far the best show I have seen since starting this blog. The show is brilliant in the way it works. The show only consists of about six characters in the first season, and over half of the season we only interact with four characters. The humor is witty and the banter back and forth between the characters is phenomenal.The general premise of the show is what would happen if you were the last person on earth, and you find out pretty quickly that there isn't a whole lot to do. Our main character is Phil Miller who is wonderfully played by Will Forte. Phil is the namesake of the last man on Earth. In prior events of the show, Phil travels around the United States painting on billboards, "ALIVE IN TUCSON." He does this in case if anyone is alive they will come to him. When he has had enough of living by himself he is about to kill himself, but at the last second he sees smoke and realizes that someone else is alive. This is when he meets Carol Pilbasian played by Kristen Schaal. The two are the total opposites and Phil cannot really stand her. Since they are the only two survivors they have to put up with each other. When the thought of repopulation comes up between the two, Carol insists that they be married so that the children will not be bastards.
As soon as Phil and Carol get married is when more people show up and ruin the good time that Phil was having when he was alone. As a character Phil is an asshole. I think that is why I love the character so much. This man is one of the last people on Earth and he still treats everyone terrible. He tries to seduce every woman that is new to their surviving clan even though he is married to Carol. Phil is also pretty despicable as he lies any chance he has. He lies most often to the only person that really likes him in Carol. He has some redeeming traits though as first season drags on he starts to really appreciate what Carol means to him. He even gets jealous when one of the other survivors puts the moves on Carol. Forte really shines as Phil Miller. His rambling style of dialogue is perfect for the character. He really goes all out in his performance of Phil as well.
Like I said in the beginning of this blog, this is by far my favorite show I have watched this semester. There are few shows where I will laugh throughout the entire show, and The Last Man on Earth is one of these shows. There wasn't a whole lot that I did not like about this show and the problems I did have were minor enough that I did not worry much about it. The cast of the show is well-rounded and they play well off each other. The cast of the show really makes the show into what it is and that is a great comedy.


Yooooo I LOVE Will Forte!!! How have i never heard of this show?? The plot of this show sounds flipping amazing and I actually might start this over springbreak! Could you imagine being the last man on Earth? The pressure would be astronomical, but I would have so much fun. Thanks for blogging about this, I will surely give it a whirl !!
ReplyDelete