Brooklyn Nine-Nine | Season One

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is a show that I have always been interested in watching. My favorite type of television shows are comedies and I like some of the actors in the show. So I thought that this would be a great show to start off my TV Wrap Up blog.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is about the 99th precinct of the New York City Police Department in Brooklyn. Our main character is Jake Peralta played by SNL alum Andy Samberg. He is your classic immature, lone wolf cop, but is a very skilled detective. He is not big into having partners except for his best friend Charles Boyle. Boyle is immature much like Peralta and so they have that in common. Peralta is most at odds in the police department with the new Captain Ray Holt and Amy Santiago, both of these characters are by the book cops who do not take kindly to Peralta's immature nature. The seargant of the department is Terry Jeffords played by Terry Crews. Jeffords tries to keep the department on track but most of the time gets caught up in the antics that go on. The rest of the detective cast is Rose Diaz a cop who shows no emotion and has a bit of a temper, and the final two are Hitchcock and Scully two incompetent cops. The final character in the show is Gina who is the sarcastic assistant for Captain Holt. She is also a childhood friend of Peralta and he got her the job at the precinct.

The First Season starts out with Captain Holt being appointed to the 99th precinct. This displeases Peralta as the last captain let them do anything and rarely cared if they slacked off in the office. It does please Santiago though because she strives to become a captain one day and hopes to get guidance from this new captain. As Captain Holt changes the department through the first season he slowly matures Peralta and by the end of the season Peralta is a much different cop.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is not without its romance storylines. The biggest romance is that of Peralta and Santiago. Boyle in one episode remarks to Peralta that of an elementary playground romance. A boy pulls a girls hair and in essence antagonizes the girl because he likes her. This is what Peralta and Santiago relationship is. The two have a bet through most of the season where whoever arrests the most criminals by a certain date. Peralta wins and forces Santiago to go on a terrible date. He forces her to wear an ugly prom dress and humiliates her at every place they go. During the date Captain Holt tells Peralta of a possible drug bust that needs to go down. Peralta takes Santiago with him so they can finish their terrible date after they finish up. Peralta though realizes during their stakeout that he actually does have feelings for Santaigo but hides them from her for much of the first season. Peralta does reveal his true feelings to Santiago in the final episode of the first season as he goes off to be undercover for the FBI, as he fears the consequences of being caught undercover.

Boyle also has a romantic storyline throughout the first season as he has romantic feelings for Diaz, but she does not reciprocate these feelings for him. Boyle does find love with a woman named Vivian, but this ends in heartbreak as she wants them to move to Canada. Peralta tells Boyle that he does not want to move to Canada because he won't be a cop anymore and Boyle tells Vivian this.

Most of the cases are not as crucial to the story line. The more crucial aspects of the case are who are partnered up for each case and you are able to see the interaction between them. Whether it is Boyle leading the case and Peralta as his number two, or Peralta and Diaz partnered up to catch a car thief. Watching how the characters interact help you understand the backstory of each person.

Overall, I really enjoyed the first season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine. The humor was funny and not forced much of the time. The characters were likable and you really got invested in their backstories as you leanred more and more about each one. The Story dragged a bit towards the middle of the season, but got rejuvenated with the show utilizing Santaigo and Jeffords more. Also the final episode left enough of a cliff hanger where I can't wait to start up the second season.

Comments

  1. I've seen several ads for this show before, but I never got around to watching it. After reading your summary, I am excited to start watching the show. I grew up watching Andy Samburg's antics on SNL with his pop group, Lonely Island. I'm definitely curious as to how that translates on a TV show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the first season of this when it first came out, but I was really bad at keeping up with episodes as time went on, so I'm definitely interested in revisiting this again because as great as rewatching the Office for the millionth time is, I could use something new. Can't wait to see what other shows you review in the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Atlanta | Season One

Future Man

F Is For Family | Season One